It's funny, I'm starting to think about leaving this place now, well I have to since its only a couple of months away and I don't know what I'll be doing when I get back. I'm looking forward to coming home, especially the adventure of travelling overland to Ghana en route home, but also I'm realising there are many things I'll miss. I mean I don't know how I'll get through a week without random boys telling me they love me, or generally shouting “I like your style” when I'm looking rather rough – well maybe I won't miss that so much. But I will miss my friends here, and everyone I work with. I like being the aunty next door for children to visit (well, for about half an hour anyway!). And the importance of greetings with people you meet before you can get down to any business chat, I hope I don't loss that, I noticed at Christmas that it was generally well received. AS I contemplate leaving there may be more chat like this to come.
I've been having a busy time of it recently, with my work report being launched earlier this week and it turns out my presentation has been on the news. Not having a telly I haven't seen it (and I prefer it that way) but lots of my friends have been telling me they saw me, and apparently it will be repeated all week in the local languages, I'll be leaving this place famous!
It was the Queen's birthday again, in case you never noticed, 81 years God save her. So that means another High Commission party, and since its probably my last I really took advantage this time. Was possibly among the last to leave, although its all a bit hazy! There was a Gambian bagpiper I was loving it! To be honest have been invited to a leaving party there for our country director this weekend, but I think we are in disgrace so probably won't attend! By the end of the night I was trying to persuade someone to take me to Guiena Bissau for free as I plan on becoming a travel writer (news to me) so I could promote it for him on my return to the UK, you can but try. I'm going to stop drinking for a while, its all become too much!
Next installment
once again wrote this then didn't post it. Just wanted to add, my stop drinking quest failed - decided I would attend the leaving party thing on Friday, and try and have some redeeming behaviour. However, by the end we were encouraging all to dance round handbags and showing off our very best senegambian dancing which involves wiggling your knees about and flapping your top showing your belly. Oh so cool! Wonder when we'll be invited back, maybe they will want a party for my leaving!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home